Dating vs Relationship: Top Distinctions to Know
Those who somehow interact with the opposite gender often ponder over the question of “What is dating vs relationship?”. Although these concepts may sound similar, they have absolutely different meanings. Even if it seems to you that you’ve built a serious connection with your partner, it is necessary to know how to find a difference between dating vs relationship. Thus, you can fulfill all your romantic goals and meet the expectations of your partner. Scroll down to learn the signs that determine these two notions and good luck with your love affairs.
Definition of Dating vs Relationship
The difference between dating vs relationship may be rather subtle, but you still need to know it to let your romantic affairs are developing according to your expectations. .
- Dating implies a physical and emotional connection between partners that include sexual and romantic scenes. The main goal of dating is to build deep bonds between people to decide whether both of them want to continue their interaction and infuse it with affection and love. When both partners agree that they want to develop their bonds, they become committed.
- A relationship is a deeper connection between two people. At this stage, both partners learn how to be better lovers, and demonstrate support, loyalty, and mutual affection. When people are engaged in a relationship, they completely accept their partners with all their strong and weak sides. Partners try to create mutual trust and build plans for their future.
What is the relevant dating vs relationship statistics?
Before kickstarting your romantic journey, it is advisable to take into account dating vs relationship meaning from the point of relevant facts and statistics. Here are some facts every potential love seeker should know.
- 63% of survey respondents claim that they want to get involved in serious relationships rather than being uncommitted.
- 66% of long-distance relationship couples break up because they don’t build future plans.
- 24% of respondents found their significant others online and 15% of them went down the aisle together.
- The studies show that people should interact for more than 60 days to conclude whether they are compatible with each other.
- The average dating term is approximately 3 years. After this period, couples either get married or separate.
Main Differences Between Casual Dating vs Relationship
If you want to differentiate hooking up vs dating vs relationship, you should carefully analyze your intentions and the behavior of your partner. Keep in mind that your goals may be different, so it is necessary to consider the behavior of both counterparts. Read on to learn the signs of dating vs relationship to see what to expect in the future.
Signs of affection
Do you miss your partner right when you wake up? Do you want to touch and kiss your significant other? It goes without saying that you are experiencing an affection towards your sweetheart. You admire your partner and want to spend every single minute with your boyfriend or girlfriend. You often imagine the scenes when you are together and doing pleasant activities. Usually, people feel this way when they just begin to know each other. If both of you have such strong feelings, you can turn them into commitment. Nevertheless, you are just a girlfriend and boyfriend for now. Affection is the main sign of dating.
The devotion of both partners
Did you know that a girlfriend and boyfriend title comes only when you are in a relationship? If you and your partner are dedicated to your bonds, show commitment and loyalty, and discuss the top 7 romantic ideas for a marriage proposal, then there is probably something more between you than just dating. The more devoted the partners are to each other, the stronger the chemistry between them is. It is only up to you whether to bring this chemistry through life or not.
Comparing your new love with a past love
It’s not unnatural to compare relationships, but this way, you verbalize dissatisfaction which means you aren’t ready to proceed with something serious. If you consider this concept in terms of seeing someone vs dating vs relationship, the first option is more common for those who compare their partners with previous experiences. When you date, you compare all upsides and downsides of your partner with previous lovers without being focused on your feelings or intentions. So, if you still look back, you are not ready for serious bonds.
Personal space is a necessity, and if you are willing to share it with your significant other, the latter point definitely wins in the exclusive dating vs relationship battle. The following factors determine that you are ready to open up absolutely new possibilities in your love affairs.
- You spend a lot of time together and stay overnight.
- You understand each other’s jokes.
- Silent moments during conversations don’t cause inconveniences anymore.
- You can do many activities together, including cooking or sharing household chores.
- There is no topic that may confuse you during your conversations.
- You spend excellent time both together or while being with friends.
When the partners are involved in meaningful interaction, they prioritize each other over everything and everybody. By showing that your partner is significant to you, you build strong and healthy relationships. In case you focus on other things rather than your connection, postpone dates or miss important events, then you are just dating. Your partner doesn’t take prime importance in your life. In this case, it is advisable to think about whether your connection has a future.
Feeling of ease
If you want to define dating vs relationship, you will need to analyze your feelings. When you date someone, you try to impress your sweetheart in any acceptable way. Once you are engaged in relationships, you feel at ease. There is no need to wear masks and play games. You just relish each other’s company and have fun together. There is no need to wear your favorite clothes on dates, you can just appear in front of your partner in your old T-shirt and feel comfortable about it.
A change in conversations
Another difference in dating vs relationships concepts is a new flow of your conversations. When you are dating, you mostly focus on your personality and talk about your plans and expectations. Once you are committed, you replace “I” with “us”. Thus, you identify your couple and give a new direction for your bonds. If your perspectives and hopes include the words “we”, “us”, and “together”, there is certainly a strong rapport between you two.
Discovering the difference between dating vs relationship is vital for everybody who has ever had a romantic interaction. The most essential thing about these two notions is that you may date and then build relationships with one partner. That is why it is important to determine the stage of your romantic affairs and whether you and your sweetheart look in the same direction. Only in this case dating vs relationship quotes matter.
Mike Hickman is one of the best psychologists in New York. Thanks to working with people who face different problems in relationships, he knows well how to help potential partners build a strong connection, and how to let couples keep the fire despite routine issues. Here you can find efficient pieces of advice based not only on theoretical knowledge but Mike’s professional practice.